Monday 27 August 2012

20 Questions for Wargamers...

So, a couple of blogs I read (Fran, Ray and Curt) have thrown down a metaphorical gauntlet of 20 questions for Wargamers.

1. Favourite Wargaming period and why?

I suppose, this has to be World War Two. I do dearly love so many historical periods, but World War 2 has to be my favourite. Why? The apex of technology that it represented. I was a boy who wanted to fly Spitfires, pure and simple! Movies like the Battle of Britain only served to fuel that fire more. It is also where I really started gaming properly (no longer a slave to GW)

2. Next period, money no object?

Tough call. There has been some talk locally about playing Impetvs for the Italian Wars using Perry Miniatures, but I will probably do that anyway! Then again, the guys at Claymore Castings have produced some gorgeous miniatures which I am resisting! No wait, 28mm Macedonians and Persians, led by Alex! So... lots?

3. Favourite 5 films?

In no particular order.... Battle of Britain (Spitfires. Enough said), The Dark Knight (Every scene with the Joker, Batman is by no means my favourite hero, but he has awesome villains), Black Hawk Down (Gung-ho I know, but it has stuck with me), A Bridge too Far (Gene Hackmann- "But what of Ze Gerrrrmans?") and the Matrix (was so very mindblowing when I first saw it)

4. Favourite 5 TV series?

Firefly (has to be on this list, it does), The Walking Dead (I like me good Zombie stories), The Big Bang Theory (Apparently I am like Leonard, except not as smart), Blackadder (I have a cunning plan...) and QI (Stephen Fry is a hero of mine..)

5. Favourite book and author?

Tough call. One of the things that I own that I love the most is that I have a wide and ever expanding library. But to name one single book... George Orwell's Animal Farm.

6. Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!

Alexander. Pure and simple, he was the commander who I first really, properly learned about. Certainly an exceptional figure in terms of military tactics and history. Sorry Rommel, but my Classics degree beat my History degree!

7. Favourite Wargames rules?

Ooooh tough call. Depends what mood I am in. If I have the energy, I love Force on Force. But often we game late at night, at the end of the week when I can barely make a sentence, let alone make proper infantry attacks! Those times SAGA come out. But for longevity, Flames of War has occupied me for almost 10 years now....

8. Favourite Sport and team?

I am myself a hockey player, so I suppose that has to win out there. Top team? Hard call! Kiwis are always feel compelled to say the All Blacks, but after the Olympics, I am a big fan of our Rowing Squad!

9. If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
Athens, to the Agora to listen to Socrates. And probably get absolutely schooled in my own philosophical understanding!

10. Last meal on Death Row?
Pizza Magherita! So tasty...

11. Fantasy relationship and why?

Ummm... Jewel Staite. Shiny....

12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?

I have been reliably informed by the students I teach that I look like John Heder (Napoleon Dynamite)



13. Favourite Comic Superhero?

Ironman. A very close second is Rorschach from Watchmen, followed by V from V for Vendetta, then the Punisher and then rounding out the top 5 is Fone Bone.

14. Favourite Military quote?

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by
fools." from Thucydides

15. Historical destination to visit?

I have travelled to many sites, but there are so many more for me to do. I want to trek the Kokoda Trail, to stand (and probably cry) at the gates of Bergen-Belsen, to visit Passchendale, to travel through Vietnam and Iraq. The list is long....

16. Biggest Wargaming regret?

Not taking the time with my painting up till a year ago, so many miniatures covered in think layers of paint!

17. Favourite Fantasy job?

History Book picture editor. So many incorrect captions! Adam and I were talking about this last time I saw him, how this is so needed, and would be so awesome!

18. Favourite Song, Top 5?

Something like this....
"While my Guitar Gently Weeps"- The Beatles
"Misty and Jimmy"- The Eastern
"Big Me"- Foo Fighters
"The Greatest Man that Ever Lived"- Weezer
"Hurt"- Johnny Cash

Although, there are numerous that I have forgotten I am sure...

19. Favourite Wargaming Moment?

There are a lot of these. But, mainly around the friends I have made around the country and the world through the games. In all honesty, the games are secondary for my own enjoyment and are becoming increasingly more so!

20. The miserable Git question, what upsets you?

Lots of things. Red Lights, Ignorant Minds, Declining Eftpos cards, Creationists and Rhubarb. To name a few!

Musing is fun. And thoroughly distracting from painting!

So what are your answers?

CP

1 comment:

  1. Awesome list and fun to read (though I have to disagree about rhubarb - love the stuff).

    ReplyDelete